Posted on: 2018-09-19 09:48:09
Built between 1906 - 1925, The Palace of Culture represents an emblematic edifice for Iasi, combining three architectural styles: neo-gothic, romantic and neo-baroque. It was built in the former Moldavian medieval royal court, on the site of the old royal palace.
Initially, the building was the headquarters of the Administrative and Justice Palace, being at the time the tallest building in the city, with a ground footprint of 7330 sqm and an area of 34.236,35 sqm.
Starting with 1955, the building became the host of some cultural institutions in Iasi.
The Palace of Culture is distinguished by its exterior beauty, as well as through its modern facilities and technical equipment, purchased from Germany, as well as through its fittings made by the Haug House and the renowned French firms Krieger, Mericier and Bagvès.
Among the most important halls of the building there are: The Hall of Honor, designed in the neo-gothic style; The Hall of the Voivodes, which is considered the most beautiful and imposing room of the palace and Henri Coanda Hall, which still preserves the names of the former justice ministers Matei B. Cantacuzino (1855-1926) and Gheorghe Marzescu (1834-1901).
Another important attraction is the Clock of the Palace, which plays the "Hora Unirii" at every exact hour. The 12 zodiac signs appear in the stained glass of the quadrants of the clock.
Today, The Palace of Culture is the headquarters of the National Museum Complex "Moldova", a complex that hosts 4 very important museums: The History Museum of Moldova, The Museum of Science and Technique "Stefan Procopiu", The Ethnographic Museum of Moldova, The Art Museum, as well as The Center for Research and Conservation-Restoration of Cultural Patrimony.